GRUB question.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Aug 8 02:20:08 UTC 2008

Giorgos Kostopoulos wrote:

> I just installed kubuntu and I have a question.
> GRUB set entries for launching kubuntu and windows.
> I added myself an entry, for booting from the floppy (fd0).
>
> Is there any possibility for adding a similar entry for booting from CD
> (without rebooting)?

You set it to boot from CD in the BIOS (any bios should give you a series of
options for boot devices - as long as your system is capable of booting
from CD, it will be there).  There _is_ no way to boot without rebooting...

The CD boot option doesn't need to be in Grub, because a CD is either
bootable or not, and if you have a bootable one in the drive you can always
eject it if you don't want to boot from it.

The same with the floppy - if your floppies (who has floppies??) can boot,
they will if they're set up in the BIOS, so why put an entry in grub
(though you can)?
--
derek