Security-related questions

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Sun Apr 27 21:21:17 UTC 2008

Ignazio Palmisano wrote:
> Bill Parr wrote:
>> I travel internationally quite frequently - boarding at least 4
>> international flights per month in a variety of countries, most months more
>> - and haven't had to even open my laptop in at least 5 years. 5 years or
>> more ago I was often ask to just open my computer - to in effect demonstrate
>> that either the boot screen came up, or (if I had put it to sleep) that it
>> was capable of being started.
>>
>> Bill Parr
>

> Well my laptop has been sniffed twice with some strange tool that I
> guess was meant to analyze particles in case I packed a bomb in my hard
> drive... this happened in a UK airport, and I guess the reason the
> machine was treated so was that in one case I was carrying two laptops
> and in another case a huge amount of cables, small devices and blah... I
> actually had to turn the pc on only once, in a small italian airport
> where the guards were probably getting so bored by the small amount of
> real work they had to do that they wanted to kill a couple of minutes...
>   again, no login required :) cloning the drive? They wouldn't have been
> able to tell the difference between my mac and my windows box... not
> that it's their job, either...

Yeah, I seriously doubt that any front line screener knows enough to
clone a drive. Besides, the laptop is out of your sight for only a few
seconds, really, while it goes through an X-Ray machine. Otherwise, at
most, you can keep an eye on it while it's on the conveyor belt.

You'd need at best a few minutes to clone your drive, which they would
almost certainly have to do in some other other enclosed room - more
time to get there.

If they've really separated you from sight of your belongings for that
long, you've got a whole lot more to be worried about. And if they
suspect that you are deliberately obfuscating your files, at that point,
I'd start praying ...

<G>

--
Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon at mike-leone.com>