Security-related questions

Ignazio Palmisano ignazio_io at yahoo.it
Sun Apr 27 18:44:19 UTC 2008

Bill Parr wrote:
> I travel internationally quite frequently - boarding at least 4
> international flights per month in a variety of countries, most months more
> - and haven't had to even open my laptop in at least 5 years. 5 years or
> more ago I was often ask to just open my computer - to in effect demonstrate
> that either the boot screen came up, or (if I had put it to sleep) that it
> was capable of being started.
>
> Bill Parr

Well my laptop has been sniffed twice with some strange tool that I
guess was meant to analyze particles in case I packed a bomb in my hard
drive... this happened in a UK airport, and I guess the reason the
machine was treated so was that in one case I was carrying two laptops
and in another case a huge amount of cables, small devices and blah... I
actually had to turn the pc on only once, in a small italian airport
where the guards were probably getting so bored by the small amount of
real work they had to do that they wanted to kill a couple of minutes...
  again, no login required :) cloning the drive? They wouldn't have been
able to tell the difference between my mac and my windows box... not
that it's their job, either...

I.