Ubuntu with KDE vs Kubuntu

Francisco Borges francisco.borges at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 14:48:53 BST 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Michael <mmorse757 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this was addressed once before but what is the difference
>  between downloading Ubuntu and then removing Gnome and adding KDE versus
>  the Kubuntu distro?

That is actually a good question.

In my experience, there is no real support for the distinction of
installing Kubuntu or Ubuntu is not real; but there should be a
difference.

Meaning that when I install Kubuntu, I would expect that Kubuntu's
defaults (i.e. KDE apps) to have a higher priority (than Gnome apps),
but that is not the case:

Install Kubuntu;
and a certain KDE app is installed (say make sure KTorrent is
installed - default KDE app for bittorrent.)
install some gnome application (using aptitude), say a bittorrent client;

I don know about other people, but I would expect that KTorrent would
remain being the default bittorrent client. But what happens is that
the Gnome bittorrent client will be silently set to be the default.

I had this problem several times, and find it irritating.

Derek just sent an email talking about how a system ends up being
neither one thing nor the other. Well my point is that I expect the
setup of having KDE as my main desktop not to be ignored whenever I
install something from Gnome. But that does not happen in practice.

It is this sort of thing that makes me think that makes me think about
Kubuntu as an "unpolished" distribution.

Oh, well...

Kind regards,
--
Francisco