HELP! KDE task/menu bar disappeared and I can't get it back!

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sat Apr 12 17:15:44 UTC 2008

On Saturday 12 April 2008 15:41, Dario Figueira wrote:
> On 4/12/08, Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > How do i reinstall what seems to be lacking? (i've tought about
> > > reinstalling Kubunto but was afraid of losing everything else
> > > installed,
> >
> > You could reinstall kubuntu-desktop from the Kubuntu CD.
> > You might need to remark the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list other than
> > the
> > deb cdrom  line (usually at the top).
> >
> > Then:
> > Insert the CD,
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo  apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
>
> Err http://pt.archive.ubuntu.com dapper Release.gpg
>   Could not resolve 'pt.archive.ubuntu.com'
> and a bunch more like that; It seems he is not looking into the CD to get
> the update, but trying to acess the internet.. :(
>
> How do i fix that? Force it to look into the CD; Or open the Wireless
> Manager to make it connect to the wireless network; Or make it connect to
> the Network to the router so he can have net?

Hi Dario. Could not resolve is a DNS problem. What do you have
in /etc/resolve.conf ?

There should be something like:
nameserver <followed by an IP address>

Mine shows:
nameserver 213.36.80.1
This is no use to you, as it's my ISP's DNS server.

You've lost Konqueror for the moment, but do you have any other webbrowsers
installed? Firefox, or Opera. If so can you access websites. This may confirm
a DNS problem if websites are not accessable.

I don't know how usefull it would be to access your Dapper CD, and re-install
kubuntu-desktop, as Donn suggested above. I'm sure KDE has been upgraded
since your original install, and possibly the upgraded KDE required other
upgraded dependencies so that KDE would work ok.

I have an upgraded to Dapper install that was installed from a Breezy CD, and
would not consider using the Breezy CD's now, as the Breezy packages are
ancient.

Personally I think I'd try to resolve the DNS problem, but if you want to try
your Dapper CD, su to root in KDE's Konsole, type "kwrite" ( no quotes), and
navigate to /etc/apt/sources.list. Comment out the lines with a # at the
start of all lines that are for accessing a repo.

Now back to the top of the page, and remove any # marks that are at the start
of lines referring to the cdrom.

Save the changes, insert the Dapper cdrom into the drive, then do, sudo
apt-get update, and hopefully apt-get update will retrieve all the packages
on the cdrom, and list them as available.

As Donn mentions above, now do an apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, and see how
it goes.

I still think it would be better to resolve the DNS problems though, but
that's just me.

Nigel.