Samba Samba!

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Sep 19 15:52:55 UTC 2007

Donn wrote:

>> Also check:
>> # sudo netstat -plant | grep smb
>> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:139 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 31483/smbd
>> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:445 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 31483/smbd
> Right - I don't get these lines. How can I see what's choking smb?
>
> I have looked in /var/log/samba and most are empty.
> There is something odd in log.nmbd.1.gz:
>
> [2007/03/13 12:56:45, 0] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(2649)
>   Unknown parameter encountered: "iterfaces"
>
> Which continues in that fashion for a while. Seems there may be a spelling
> error in the c code itself. I dunno. I checked the smb.conf and it does
> not contain "iterfaces" anywhere.

I wouldn't have thought.  Now, you should really know better, Donn:
google "param/loadparm.c:map_parameter".  The first link I get is a
reference to "winbind daemon not running".  Somebody's obviously run into
problems like this.  A quick look suggests that you really need to believe
the message and recheck smb.conf, since all the similar problems appear to
be from reading the config file.

> I get no obvious errors when I start samba.

I'd say that was an obvious error :-)

>> If you don't see those two sockets, samba isn't working properly.
>> Try "telnet localhost 139" (and again for port 145) and if you don't
>> get "Connected to localhost", you have a network problem (possibly
>> firewall related).
> I am pretty sure I have no firewall running. I have been trying to learn
> iptables and all I have at the moment is a masquerade through to the XP
> box for sharing the net. My Kubuntu box has two network cards.

It's not the firewall - if you don't even have those sockets active, smbd
has either failed, or at least not properly initialized.  You can't do a
thing without them.
--
derek