Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Sep 19 16:02:37 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:06:34 -0700
>
>Manuel McLure <manuel at mclure.org> wrote:
>> Bah, newbie. I started on a TRS-80 Model I (Level II Basic) with cassettes
>> for "file management." From there I moved to QNX and DOS (dual boot on a
>> 286-based PC with 30 megs of HD space,) from there to Xenix and SCO UNIX,
>> and finally started using Windows in the late 3.1 era (while still working
>> with Xenix and UNIX.)
>>
>> --
>> Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
>> ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
>> no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft
>
>Dare I mention that the first computer I was involved with was an IBM
>mainframe in 1962? I saw the whole PC business right from the
>beginning. Yes, I started with DOS back then, and before that CP/M.
>Anyone remember that one?
>
>Neil Winchurst

In the middle-late 1950's, I saw the machine used to grade the Iowa Tests then
used in the school systems to evaluate kids, but I don't know if it would
actually qualify as a computer.  It used a modified Harris printing press to
present the test forms to the photocell array, and a 12,000 tube (12AU7's
IIRC) processor that may have been one of the first eniacs.  SUI built the
building it was in around it, probably the most air conditioned building on
campus in Iowa City at the time.  But I didn't work on it, not having been
infected with the digital virus yet.  The folks who were afraid I was gonna
put fingerprints on 'their' baby weren't aware of the score I made on the
test they were grading either. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)