Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Tue Sep 18 19:47:07 UTC 2007

Manuel McLure wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 September 2007 10:58:02 Greg Booth wrote:
>> I also started on DOS 6.0, that file manager was SLICK baby !! All
>> applications were installed to hard drive and started from command
>> line. You'll find the linux community tends to be older than most
>> online communities.
>
> Bah, newbie. I started on a TRS-80 Model I (Level II Basic) with cassettes
> for "file management." From there I moved to QNX and DOS (dual boot on a
> 286-based PC with 30 megs of HD space,) from there to Xenix and SCO UNIX, and
> finally started using Windows in the late 3.1 era (while still working with
> Xenix and UNIX.)

My first was a TI 99-4A. From there I went to a CoCo. [ Both of which I
still have in working condition. ] Then it was an old Leading Edge 8088
XT. Ran 7MHz in TURBO Mode. Came with two 5.25 floppy drives. I changed
them out for 3.5 floppies. Didn't even have a place, or interface, for a
hard drive. I had to Southern Engineer one in an old scsi case with a
separate power supply running the ribbon cable out the card slot in the
back from the IDE card to the drive. Had DOS 3 and Windows 1. Still have
both of those around here somewhere to. I had a "Rampat" board that I
had 100M of memory on. The computer couldn't access all that memory
directly so I used it as a ramdisk. The bat files I used to run
everything would copy the program from the hard drive to the ramdisk and
run it from there. It ran much faster from the ramdisk than it could
from the hard drive.

I've got an old TRS-80 that just needs the boot floppies to run. Also
have a Xerox double 8.5 floppy drive with a box of software on 8.5 floppies.

--
(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh