kde4 not working

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 11:44:53 UTC 2007

I keep seeing reviews of kde4 so wanted to try it.  I installed the
packages per kubuntu.org and logged into to the full session.  However,
I don't get the desktop, just a window with a clipboard in the upper
left corner, a new wallpaper, a taskbar with two boxes on it across the
bottom .. within the boxes are words saying it could not render
properly.  There's no menu button.  A mouse right click just gives a
brief menu with the run dialog being the only thing useful.  It's
nothing functional or able to be tested.  Yet, I still am seeing more
and more reviews of kde4, so perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  Has
anyone been able to get a full (testable) session running from the
packages from kubuntu.org?  Did you have to do anything different than
the instructions listed there?