Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 12:49:38 UTC 2007

On Saturday 15 September 2007 10:54:33 pm msmarti58 wrote:
> >Ubuntu decided to standardize on GNOME as their desktop environment.
>
> Yes, I realize that, but they must have some other differences, since GNOME
> found my other disc drives right away, and KDE did not. I still have not
> found a way to make Kubuntu recognize those. Without it recognizing those
> other drives, it is useless to me, because those are where all my other
> files are, songs, documents, whatnot. I have three hard drives. One has
> Windows Vista on it, and is 300 gig, my old 40 gig hard drive I installed
> Ubuntu on to check it out, and the other 500 gig is an external network
> share for storage only between me and the rest of the family, no operating
> system.
>
> >If you installed the same version of each one (eg. Ubuntu Feisty vs.
>
> Kubuntu Feisty) then you should have had the same results with both.  Any
> difference you experienced is most likely due to something you did
> differently yourself, without being aware of it.
>
> Now, you might have something there, I'm not sure which versions I put on
> of each one. I can't look right now, I am in Vista. But still, if it was so
> simple in GNOME to locate and mount my other hard drives, then I think KDE
> should have found them too. I did nothing differently that I know of. I did
> a clean install and specified that it write over the existing 40 gig hard
> drive.
>
> Now my main question really is (since I DO like the KDE interface), HOW do
> I make it see my other drives? They are NTFS drives. Well, actually it DOES
> see them, but it says something odd like I don't have proper permission to
> open them. It says I have to have root permission, and I don't know what
> that is. I have set myself up to be administrator. I have done some reading
> on it but it was WAYYY over my head. If it's too hard to describe here, can
> someone point me to a place where it tells me what to do step by step for
> newbies like me please? :)
>
> Marti

Do this:

1 Install Ubuntu Plain, and play around with it.  Get comfortable with the
Linux way of doing things, and how it all fits together.  What I sense in
your messages is a lack of comfort, or as we say, there are no warm and
fuzzies.

2.  Once you have a handle on what's going on, or just realize you don't like
Gnome (like the rest of us here), install the KDE packages from "synaptic"
(which should install by default on Ubuntu).  You can do this by command
line, or synaptic, but the main package you want to start with
is, "kubuntu-desktop" or "kde" and "kde-core" (these should get you the KDE
desktop environment.

In Synaptic click on the "Search" menu option at the top and type "kde"
or "kubuntu" and hit enter and you'll find them in the lists that (finally)
come up.

There are literally thousands of applications, and utilities that are
installable, so it can take a moment or two for the search to come back..

However, Overall I'd say once you get things Rolling with Linux, you'll soon
want to kiss (or smack) Windows Goodbye!  I keep it on my machines that are
under warranty so I don't have to argue with the support people.   The only
reason I boot it up these days is to patch it. :-D

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.