Graphics cards

Fri Sep 14 15:27:36 UTC 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007, Knapp wrote:
> I am running an Nvidia Geforce 7600 gs. I run it with it's  fan
> unplugged and with the Nvidia made driver. It has a heat monitor and
> even running 3d aps the hottest it gets is one line into the yellow. I
> have been doing this for one year with no problems. In the beginning I
> was going to put a resistor in the fan to slow it down to a quiet
> level but never got to it.
>
> I also mounted the HDs in the CD bays with hair rubber bands so they
> make almost no noise.
> Then For the DVD player I use a little program,"setcd -x 1", to run it
> at speed 1x when watching movies.

Cool idea, BUT, there has been some research (no, I cannot think of where I
read it) that seemed to heavily suggest that a hard drive needs a relatively
rigid securing method due to the rotational/centripetal (sp?) force inside
the drive. Something about it needing a rigid mounting so that it can "stop"
and "start" the needle/head in the correct place.