software suggestions (fire department)

Michael W. Holdeman lists at ptfd.org
Tue Sep 11 02:39:32 UTC 2007

I have a specific software need for my fire department.
I have preplans that are now organized into a mssql database and app made for
winblows. I curreently use vmplayer and xp to run it, but I think there
should be som linux native stuff that would do this.

1. mapping. I need to be able to enter an address into the toughbook in the
fire truck or ambulance and have the mapping app show me where it is. I dont
care so much about directions just a location.

2. Preplanning. Organizing all my preplanning documents for all my occupancies
(businesses, homes etc...) so a fire officer can graphically pull the
information up and display it. It needs to be easy to find and quick no
matter the type of info, ie .jpg's, .pdf's, cad drawings, msds, etc....

Any ideas appreciated. I am trying to get my Fire department away from the
vmplayer and xp sessions and totally native linux.

Mike