Kubuntu causing computer to overheat. (I think)

T. Scott Testerman Scott at scotttesterman.com
Fri Sep 7 10:34:30 UTC 2007

OK, so if lm-sensors is installed that explains where you're getting
temperature readings, but it doesn't explain why you're getting outer space
readings for your temperatures.  Have you checked /etc/sensors.conf for your
sensors and motherboard?  It already has many of the known troublesome boards
and chips documented, along with the correct lines to make them function.
The full documentation and forums are at http://lm-sensors.org/ and could be
of help.

Also, are there really current motherboards out there that don't have at least
rudimentary temperature reporting in the BIOS?  I know that it's been common
on even cheap boards since around 2000/2001, so I would be surprised if your
board doesn't have it.  If you have sensors to dectect at all, then it would
be surprising if you don't have a report in the BIOS configuration somewhere,
otherwise there would be no purpose in having the sensors.

Scott