installing print drivers

D T drden2000 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 04:51:13 UTC 2007

Hello,
I'm new to Linux but I know MS windows very well.  I have tried to go to Linux at least 5 times in the last 10 years.  It seems that I am cursed for not being able to do anything in Linux.  I've tried to install my printer, a Canon pixma IP3000 and failed. So then I tried my Nieces Dell 1110 Laser and failed again.  Then I went to the old shed to pull out the Brother MFC 3820-CN that my Brother-in-law kept stored, failed again.  I cannot remember all the new terms with Linux so I need to print out the sheets I find in Google.  So can anyone tell me a simple way to get a printer installed on Kububtu?  I have a file:///home/dt/Desktop/iP4200_Linux_260.tar.gz Canon japan driver IP4200??? that some say will work but I cant get it to install.  I can see it with the program that works like (Win-Rar, Win-Zip) but it wont install, It's actually the extension .RPM  (fedora Package)?  Then I found out I need to open it with a package installer but I dont have the one that Ubuntu guide has (the one under "system settings" -> "administration").

I find it so hard to use this stuff the way it is.  Do I really have to find a Japanese driver then open it to view it, then get a separate package installer to install it?  Will it go in then?  Or is there more to do than this?  There has got to be one installer that does them all? right? Is there really no drivers (in America?) for a Canon IP 3000, a Dell 1110 and a Brother 3820CN?  These are all very common printers are they not? Canon has a driver for some of the printer but not mine and the are .tz extension.  I'm so frustrated, I hate MS with passion but ... 3 days and all I have is only the stuff that came on the original cd I downloaded and burned.  I even went back to my 4 year old computer (it ran the "live cd's) because I couldn't install most of the stuff (drivers) on a new system it would just lock up.  My 18 month old $2000.00 Dell 9400 ATI x1400, 17" ultra bright LCD, 2.0 gig dual core intel cpu, 2 gig ram, 100 gig 7200 rpm hd. wont even come up with the "live" CD (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, fedora, Dream-linux, Kororag, Puppy-linux, freespire, suse10.2.  Well at least this time I can get on the internet, first time that has happened so I must be getting better, trying to stay positive, I would love to leave MS.  Any help will be appreciated.  If not?  I'll wait another 2 years and try it again.

Thank-you!