Gutsy - switch user logout problem

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Oct 31 09:15:50 UTC 2007

I have a couple of computers with fresh installs of Gutsy (copied back
the users [complete] Home files) and when I 'Switch User' (right click
on the desktop) I can log into another user account and everything works
OK until I logout (right click on the desktop) - It takes a few [long]
seconds and the desktop disappears BUT then I am left with a black
screen with the mouse pointer still responding.
I can switch back to the original user account by 'Alt Ctr F7' but then
right clicking on the desktop shows that I am still logged in to the
other account (vt9).
This also happens if I log into another [virtual terminal] account 'Alt
Ctr F1' - do some apt-get installing, then logout (it returns me to a
login prompt) BUT switching back to 'Alt Ctr F7' and right clicking on
the desktop shows that I am still logged in to the other account (vt1).

I like to use GKrellm and it shows that I still have more than one user
active.

What gives?

Blessings,

Nigel