disk-on-key ownership

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Oct 31 13:47:01 UTC 2007

I just bought a Sandisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive (1GB) and using
Knoppix and Qtparted, formatted it into 3 partitions - 630mb ext2, 250mb
linux-swap (for using with my [old] 64mb laptop [sans hard disk] with
Puppy Linux) and the rest as fat16.

When I stick the USB drive in my Kubuntu box it auto mounts both the
ext2 and fat16 partitions. The fat16 gets 'User: nigel Group: root'. The
ext2 gets 'User: root Group: root'. I cannot write to the ext2 partition.

I have tried changing the ownership by issuing:
sudo chown nigel /dev/sdb1
but it remains the same - root root

How do I make it writable by yours truly?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries