Mail Server (Fetchmail working)

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Fri Oct 26 21:08:38 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 October 2007 3:27:30 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> >> I meant, how did you look in the
> >> mailbox?  I presume you mean you opened it with a mail program, but
> >> which one?  I'm not sure what difference that actually makes, but we
> >> can't diagnose it if we have no idea what program you're using.
> >
> > I don't think I can explain it. I am using webmin, and all I have to do
> > is click on an icon in webmin to see all of the mailboxes for my system.
> > did you know even fetchmail has a mailbox. :-)
>
> Well, yes, and not really...  ime, if mail is getting delivered
> to "fetchmail", it's probably an error.  When fetchmail is running as a
> system daemon (rather than per-user), the default destination for mail
> is "fetchmail".  Your fetchmailrc file needs to specify the "is USER here"
> phrase for the mailbox being fetched to tell it to deliver to USER,
> otherwise it goes to fetchmail.  Also, I'd always set an alias
> in /etc/aliases for fetchmail to whatever account I use for admin mail (ie,
> all mail on my system for root, webmaster, mail, fetchmail, admin, etc, go
> to a single account).

LOL I was being sarcastic about the fetchmail mailbox. :-)

> > Anyway, So far I have managed to get fetchmail working. Here's how I did
> > it:
> >
> > I took some of the the suggestion of Bruce Marshall (Thank you Bruce) and
> > integrated it into my fetchmailrc, take a look:
> >
> > defaults
> > proto pop3
> > port 995
> > ssl
> >
> > mda "/usr/bin/procmail -f %F -d %T
> >
> > poll pop.att.yahoo.com
> > auth password
> > user "d.mcglone at att.net" (at = @ I just changed for precaution of
> > spam)
>
> should have:
>   is dmcglone here
> (or whatever you use for your local account) unless that procmail command
> line expands out to a particular user account
>
> > pass "ha ha your not getting"
> > keep
> >
> > Now that I can fetch mail, all that is basically left to do is configure
> > multidrop or forwarding.
>
> Are you really getting mail for multiple users from one mailbox?  That's
> multidrop, and fairly awkward.  Usually it's easier to just set up unique
> mailboxes, since email addresses are so easy to get these days.

Not yet. I haven't got past configuration for 1 user yet... LOL What I am
aiming for is to get mail for me and my wife and kids from AT&T which they
each have an individual e-mail address, and stick it in their mailbox's on my
server and then they will be able to read it either on the desktop (which is
also the server) or on the laptop

> > And last configure either postfix or sendmail to deliver mail.
>
> With postfix, it's just a debconf question - it'll ask how you want to
> configure mail sending, and you say "smart host", giving it your AT&T smtp
> server's address.

Hmmm, how did you answer this question? did you run debconf or.....

Is procmail and postfix the same thing?
--
David M.