Problems with Installation fixed

Phil Pinkerton pcpinkerton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:20:42 UTC 2007

On 10/26/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Phil Pinkerton wrote:
>
> > I would like someday to return to Ubuntu I think it is wonderful, but
> not
> > quite ready for todays less expensive laptops.
>
> It's quite ready for the _less_ expensive laptops.  I just bought an HP
> DV6000 for under $600.  Not having a need for high-end graphics, I was
> only
> looking for Intel i9xx video, and _everything_ works.
>
> Wireless worked, first try, with ndiswrapper.
> Sound worked out of the box.
> The webcam (Microdia) only worked with luvcview under Feisty, but Gutsy
> supports it in Kopete, at least - I haven't had any success with mplayer
> and ekiga yet.
>
> So, note that this only fully worked under a 1-week-old version of Linux.
> That's pretty much par for the course in the Linux world.  Since we have
> wait for the devices to be commercially available before Linux developers
> can write the drivers for them, we're never going to be able to run on all
> the cutting edge hardware, and when you can't get something working in one
> distro, the odds are good that it _will_ work with another - but just as
> good that something else won't.
> --
> derek

Well good for you. Though it has nothing to do with my laptop ( under $700 )
and I do need the graphics and I do have it, just not with Unbubntu. Not
that it matters but I have been using Linux since Slackware 1.0 and am a
very dedicated Linux user having installed and tested over 300 distros as of
this year.

--
" The fundamental principle here is that the justification for a physical
concept lies exclusively in its clear an unambiguous relation to the facts