Mail Server (progress)

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Thu Oct 25 00:38:16 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 24 October 2007, David McGlone wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 October 2007 5:23:30 pm Jordi Ferrando Fabra wrote:
>
> Ok I have installed everything to run a mail server.
>
> so far I am trying to configure fetchmail, so far I'm not getting any luck
> whenever there is mail in my inbox on AT&T.
>
> I am using webmin to configure fetchmail, well if there is no mail in my
> AT&T account, fetchmail finishes fine, but if there is mail it tells me how
> many messages are there but never downloads them and I get an error that
> says:
>
> fetchmail: getaddrinfo("localhost", "smtp") error: Name or service not
> known
>
> fetchmail: smtp connect to localhost failed.
>
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
> d.mcglone at att.net@pop.att.yahoo.com and delivering to SMTP host localhost.
>
> fetchmail: querying pop.att.yahoo.com (protocol POP3) at wed 24 Oct.......
> : poll completed.
>
> fetchmail: Query status=10(smtp)
>
> fetchmail: normal termination, status 10.
>
> A big question I have, what does fetching mail got to do with smtp? I'm
> trying to fetch my mail not send it.
>
> --
> David M.

feetchmail has to hand off the mail it fetches to someone.....    I use
procmail...  but I think it will hand off to your mailer (postfix or
sendmail) if you don't specify how to process your mail.

Here is my fetchmailrc that I always hand edit.

I run fetchmail as root on my mailserver....  (they suggest not to but what
the heck)
=====================================
#fetchall
#no rewrite