Puzzling VT resolution

Michael Bach (gmx) bach.michael at gmx.net
Tue Oct 23 20:48:58 UTC 2007

Yogich7230 wrote:
> I have installed Gutsy on a couple different partitions on my Dell Inspiron
> 1100, and in both cases the installation seems to activate the frame buffer
> and I am looking at a not-quite-full screen installation dialog.
>
> Once the system is installed, the KDE desktop comes up on 1024x768 as it
> should,  and my VT is down to 640x480.  I have tried various kernel
> parameters --i.e., vga=791 (errors out); vesa=0x317 (no change); vesa=0x324
> (errors out)-- vga=771 is SUPPOSED to be 800x600 but, though not erroring
> out, is being ignored.
>
> My hdwe is as follows:
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE
> Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
>
> Anyone with this same hdwe find a solution?
>
> Thanks...

Hello,
since I upgraded to 7.10, I have the same troubles getting stuff to
appear on my display during boot. The grub menu works fine, then comes a
blank screen and eventually I get my login screen.
Hardware is a Thinkpad T23. Framebuffer (vga=791) worked fine in 6.10,
video card is a Super Savage IX/C, the X driver is simply "savage"
(which doesn't really really matter at that point anyway).

Although a little bit annoyed by this, I haven't investigated the issue.
 From my slackware times I recall to have compiled the kernel with some
certain options for the frame buffer. For kubuntu 7.10, I just hope that
by accident something had gone wrong and will be fixed at some time in
the future.
(Not complaining here, still grateful to all the people who put together
an OS that really rocks)

Mike