Screen Power Saving disabling itself

Greg Booth bootgr at
Mon Oct 22 23:04:28 BST 2007

On 10/22/07, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh at> wrote:
> On Monday 22 October 2007, Greg Booth wrote:
> > Much as the subject says the Power Saving mode for my monitor keeps
> > turning itself off randomly. I haven't been able to pin it down to any
> > one event, and I'm not sure where this setting resides on the computer
> > otherwise I'd just make a cron job to check / set it every 15 minutes
> > or something.
> I believe there are some programs (mostly multimedia ) that will turn off the
> monitor PS mode.  Yes, it is irritating and I haven't found which one does it
> either.
> And I have a cronjob that does an  "xset +dpms"  but that doesn't always solve
> the problem either.
> I usually go to     settings  >>>  peripherals >>> monitor & Display  >>>
> power saving        and toggle/apply  the power saving   box.
> If it is already set, turn it off/apply     then turn it on/apply

That's EXACTLY what I have to do. Usually though if it isn't turning
itself off the check box is unchecked. Just wish I could figure out
where the setting file for that check box is.

Thanks for the tip on the xset option, I'll cron that tonight.

The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'. So I installed LINUX