Uninstall Firefox

Galvanick Lucipher gerhardusm2002 at yahoo.es
Wed Oct 17 17:13:27 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 14:25:00 Derek Broughton wrote:
> First, please use the "reply" function of your mail program - there's no
> threading on this message.

	I though I had done it. Sorry.

> You're talking about _ubuntu-desktop_.  This is absolutely not required for
> a kubuntu upgrade :-)  kubuntu-desktop _doesn't_ rely on firefox.

	The OP talked about ubuntu-desktop, and I addressed his specific concern.
Since most of the advice applies equally to the kubuntu metapackages, I
thought it could be useful for Kubuntu newbies too. But good point anyway ;-)

> However, the OP said eclipse and other programs were going to be removed -
> eclipse _may_ need firefox, if it isn't smart enough to just use your
> default browser.

	Oh, I see. Somehow I missed that.

> > I wish this was better explained in the ububntu documentation, because it
> > seems to be a quite frequent source of confussion.
>
> It's a conscious decision by the developers.  Not having a clean upgrade
> path after the user removes the *-desktop metapackage will almost certainly
> cause even more problems.

	Sure, I agree completely. I'm not discussing the logic behind the
metapackages; only that their behavior is not explained well enough in the
(K)Ubuntu websites or in the documentation. They are confusing to beginners
that think they can't remove firefox without wiping their entire system
out ;-)

--
The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up
in the morning, and does not stop until you get to school.

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com