Uninstall Firefox

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 17 12:25:00 UTC 2007

Galvanick Lucipher wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 05:34:29 darryl.tidd wrote:
>> The plot thickens. [. . .]
>
> If I understand this correctly, ubuntu-desktop is not a package with
> actual programs but merely a list of components that make up the default
> ubuntu desktop (a "metapackage", because its only function is to telly you
> of other packages). It is useful only for upgrade purposes, and removing
> it has no effect at all on how your system works (althought it will be
> messier to upgrade, when the time comes).

First, please use the "reply" function of your mail program - there's no
threading on this message.

You're talking about _ubuntu-desktop_.  This is absolutely not required for
a kubuntu upgrade :-)  kubuntu-desktop _doesn't_ rely on firefox.

However, the OP said eclipse and other programs were going to be removed -
eclipse _may_ need firefox, if it isn't smart enough to just use your
default browser.

> I wish this was better explained in the ububntu documentation, because it
> seems to be a quite frequent source of confussion.

It's a conscious decision by the developers.  Not having a clean upgrade
path after the user removes the *-desktop metapackage will almost certainly
cause even more problems.
--
derek