SBLive! sound card not working properly

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sat Oct 13 18:20:09 UTC 2007

On Friday 12 October 2007, Laurent Asorne wrote:

> Hi there! Trouble: my SBLive Platinum card isn't working properly (see my
> posting to subject  "Rosegarden").

I don't see that in my list of new messages.  Maybe I missed it?  Maybe I
responded previously?

> Well, CD's and MP3's sounds are coming
> out all right, but there is no way to make it work for MIDI-files and for
> other external devices connected either to the mic-jack of the soundcard or
> the Linein-jack of the live!drive (front panel)...

How old is the card?  I'm not sure if the Live! Platinum was one of the ones
that still had a working on-board synth.  If it does, you need to load a
soundfont into it with asfxload, and then turn up the volume on that channel.
(I think it's called "Synth" or "Music.")

If all else fails, you'll have to run QSynth like 99.9% of the world.  Most
soundcards have MIDI that "just works" on Windows because Windows has a
transparent fake software synth as part of the soundcard driver.  Linux
doesn't have a transparent fake software synth.  You have to run a fake
software synth manually, like QSynth.

My book is 40,000 years out of date, but you might find it useful:

(Please just read the "Free Companion" version, and forget about buying a
copy.  I haven't seen a royalty payment in over two years, and I don't think
one more sale will tip the balance.)
--
D. Michael McIntyre