Can't remove gnome install.

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Thu Oct 11 10:14:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:15:50AM +0100, Wulfy wrote:
> Donatas G. wrote:
> > However, I got an idea on particularly the problem of the original poster:
> >
> > If anyone who has the same os version and DOES NOT HAVE  ubuntu-desktop and no other gtk/gnome programme installed, posted to the forum the output of
> > command
> > apt-get install ubuntu-dekstop
> > the original poster would have an idea what he should put on the string
> >
> > apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop ....
> >
> > to get rid of all of gnome. The one who is trying to help does not need to install ubuntu-desktop to help the poster, since apt-get will ask him,
> > whether to continue with the install operation.
> >
> > Anyone willing to help?
> >
> > I guess, the same could be achieved by trying to execute this command from the kubuntu desktop live cd...
> >
> > Donatas
> No need to install it:
>
> wulfy at localhost:~$ apt-cache show ubuntu-desktop
> Package: ubuntu-desktop
> Section: metapackages
> Installed-Size: 44
> Maintainer: Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com>
> Architecture: i386
> Source: ubuntu-meta
> Version: 1.43
> Depends: acpi, acpi-support, acpid, alacarte, anacron, apmd,
> avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon, bc, cdparanoia, cupsys, cupsys-bsd,
> cupsys-client, cupsys-driver-gutenprint, dc, dcraw, desktop-effects,

If you get dependency list this way, you see ALL dependencies, while you only need dependencies, that are specific to ubuntu-desktop and not the core
system and kubuntu-desktop. You can see that the too many of the packages listed are not specific to ubuntu-desktop (like: acpi*, avahi-*,
cupsys* ...)

> These are all the packages that ubuntu-desktop depends upon.  Some may
> be depended upon by other packages, but if so, trying to remove them
> will, of course, fail.

Not so sure; I guess in some cases it could try to remove both these packages and the packages that these packages depend upon. You might end up
without any desktop manager if you try to remove all of these packages. Moreover, there is no easy way to find out, which packages are the ones that only ubuntu-desktop and not some other needed meta package depends upon.

Carefull!!!

Now, if you could make up a script that takes the list produced by
apt-cache show ubuntu-desktop
and substract from it the packages also in the list produced by
apt-cache show kubuntu-desktop
to get a list that is more ubuntu-desktop specific, you might be up to something! Still, I am afraid that it would not be enough (since there could
be other metapackages that need to be substracted that I am not aware off), but if somebody knows enough bash, awk, diff, sed and other CLI tools
and would like to give it a try - great, I think he could do a lot of service to the kubuntu/ubuntu community this way.

Donatas Glodenis