linksys wrt54g and Verizon DSL using Alvarion IDU

Macario Valle macariov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:08:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 07:46 -0500, Greg Booth wrote:
> On 10/9/07, David McGlone <david.mcglone at att.net> wrote:

> > > What I'm thinking is since you connected successfully with a standalone
> > > workstation, your service is looking for the MAC address of that first
> > > workstation you connected to Verizon with and since your router has it's
> > > own MAC address, the router is not able to connect because it doesn't have
> > > the same MAC that Verizon is looking for that matches the first computer.
> > >
> > > I would look in the configurations on the modem that Verizon provided for
> > > you, for the MAC address of that first computer you connected with and
> > > change it to match your router.
> > >
> > > Another possibility is if your modem has this feature, you can completely
> > > reset it by holding in the reset button for 10 seconds or so and it should
> > > reset the modem back to the factory defaults, then connect with your router
> > > and set up your connection and finally add your computers to the router.
> > > This way your router is looking for the MAC of your router and not your
> > > computer.
> >
> > Just above, I meant to say: "your modem is looking for the MAC of your router
> > and not your computer."

> What firmware are you using on the WRT54G and is a newer or older
> model ? IE You running DD-WRT or some variant ?

I believe it is just about the same as with Bellsouth.. except for the
mac address .  you need to go to the router gui, find the mac address by
accessing status.  It is the third item down.
Call verizon and ask them to add the mac address on that line, ask them
what type of connection it needs to be.
Once you get this info, go to the main configuration page and change to
the correct connection type.  If verizon provided a login and password,
ussually if it is PPOe, add it to the config.  click on "Save settings"
and you should be good.