Storm tracking on Linux and verses MS

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sun Oct 7 14:55:33 UTC 2007

On Sunday 07 October 2007, Knapp wrote:
> Spent installing or sleeping? I know that it can take a download some
> time to update but this is like saying you work on your clock 24/7. I
> would only count the time I spend looking at it or adjusting it.

I agree in principle, but when I go install Linux at someone else's house, I
have to wander around in their back yard for an hour or so waiting on all
that to finish, so it's time that does count.  There's also no way to know
when it's done unless you're sitting there, so if you wander too long, you
might be wasting your own time.

I guess if I did this frequently enough, it would be worth finding a better
way, and there probably is one.  Linuxdom is full of possibilities.
Fortunately, I no longer install Linux for people at all, and I like that
best of all.

It just isn't worth it.  Do somebody a favor, and they expect you to give them
free service in perpetuity.

> As I have said before, if you buy the right hardware you could avoid
> this.

Very true, though laptops are often problematic in this respect.  In fact,
I've yet to have a successful experience with a laptop. Wireless, sound,
there's always something that doesn't work, and no practical way to fix it.
I spent a small eternity on the Broadcom problem once, and was happy to purge
Linux from that machine, and set it back to Windows, and somebody else's
problem.
--
D. Michael McIntyre