Storm tracking on Linux and verses MS

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 06:54:12 UTC 2007

> Well, lets see. A couple weeks ago when I installed Feisty on my laptop
> the first thing I did was force an update. Must have been seventy or
> eighty downloads. Then another batch to get the accessories, DVD
> support, Music support, video players, and other software I wanted
> installed. Say another twenty or so. I did the install late in the
> evening so I went to bed during the update process. I did the installs
> the next day. Figure a possible total of two to three hours time spent
> on the install. Yup! FAST and painless.

Spent installing or sleeping? I know that it can take a download some
time to update but this is like saying you work on your clock 24/7. I
would only count the time I spend looking at it or adjusting it.

> Then another eight hours or so mucking about with the WIFI getting it to
> work.

As I have said before, if you buy the right hardware you could avoid
this. I don't know what you get paid but if it is over $20 and hour
surely it would be worth it to buy a good new WIFI that works with
Linux and then work 8 hours at your job to pay for it. Or maybe it is
build into your laptop that you bought before you got into Linux?

One thing I would like to see is an install program that asks you all
the questions at the beginning not one here and one there, throughout
the install. I mean why wait until the end to ask about passwords and
users and all that? Do it at the start and let me get on with my day.

Douglas