Postfix help needed

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Fri Nov 30 01:40:22 UTC 2007

On Thursday 29 November 2007 6:26:02 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> D. R. Evans wrote:
> > You have stumbled on what is, to my mind, the most arcanely configured
> > program in the history of UNIX. (Well, sendmail takes that honour, but
> > postfix is the modern equivalent.)
>
> I think it applies to MTAs in general
>
> > I don't understand why there isn't some GUI-based configuration program
> > for postfix (maybe there is and I've just never found it), because the
> > number of possibilities and inter-related options in postfix cries out
> > for a GUI to make sense of everything.
>
> I used to hang out on the exim developers list, and the answer to that is
> that MTA developers believe that GUIs are evil.  The prevailing opinion was
> that if you make it easy to configure mail, idiots will be configuring
> mail.  My stock response was that idiots _are_ configuring mail, so we'd

This idiot configured a mailserver for his internal network with the help of a
very fine man on this list. He helped me for days to understand postfix and
the workings of a mailserver, and guess what?

I'm not an idiot anymore :-)

So In a way I sort of agree with the developers, BUT for a different reason
and that is only because if there were a GUI to set up a mailserver, then I'd
still be an idiot. LOL

But I also agree, that for those who want to remain idiot's then bring on the
GUI. :-)

You see, there's always a bright side to something negative.

--
David M.