Feeling like a 2nd class citizen

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Nov 29 18:52:05 UTC 2007

Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
> Nils replied:
> > Yes, while I don't always use the same number, I definitely use a
> > nonexistant IE version number.
>
> Some slight divergences above, or things I didn't fully understand.
>  I am not yet sure that the best thing to do is to change (once and for
> all) the way my browsers identify themselves.
> I conclude that if neither Konq nor Firefox work I can try that trick.

Well, my standard browser identification is of course Konqueror. However,
if I find a site which really behaves mad and only gives an error
message, I change the setting for this site alone. BTW: I think with
Konqueror itself you can only use existing IE versions - I use WWWOFFLE
for it. Looking at the relevant config file, it seems to be >1 year ago
that I used that trick. Maybe today most webmasters have found out that
there are other browsers on the market. Furthermore, Dotans approach of
complaining to the webmasters is probably the best way to eliminate those
discriminating sites.

Nils