Setup woes

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Nov 25 21:28:17 UTC 2007

D. Michael McIntyre wrote:

> On Sunday 25 November 2007, Donn wrote:
>
>> If you're trying to run stuff as root (like sudo kcontrol) then you can
>> get that kind of error. I still don't know how to fix it really. (Short
>> of kdesu kcontrol, but that's not really command line.)

Well, "kcontrol" isn't command line either, so I highly recommend using
kdesu/kdesudo rather than sudo to invoke gui apps.  If you're going to be
doing that sort of thing...

> I'm not making a statement one way or the other about what is or is not
> good practice.
>
> I only offer mention of the sux command:
>
> sux - wrapper around su which will transfer your X credentials

Not that I'd make a statement about good practice either :-), but it should
be noted that this is a wrapper around _su_, not _sudo_, so you don't get
the benefits of sudo.
--
derek