(New to Kubuntu/ Linux) Update/ upgrade difficulties Thunderbird.

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 22 04:28:26 UTC 2007

On 11/21/2007 11:53 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the solution to alleviating future FUD would be to
>> change the revision to 2.0.0.9 in order to maintain the revision
>> numbering in the source product.
>
> But it _isn't_ 2.0.0.9 - it's 2.0.0.8 plus security patches.  In this case,
> that might not really make a difference, but often upstream applies their
> security patches to _their_ latest stable release, which is not always the
> same thing as downstream's stable version.

Agreed. But applying small security patches to a source product doesn't
necessarily mean that the Ubuntu package is updated to a source package,
even many revisions later.

I give you Ubuntu's OpenOffice on Feisty for example. OOo on Feisty is
at 2.2 while Gutsy is at 2.3. There are serious problems with (U)OOo
2.2, and still quite a few problems with (U)OOo 2.3. While both may have
applicable security patches applied, both do not have some features that
the OpenOffice.org version does (Address Data Sources, Wizards & Base
are a good example). Then again, (U)OOo have some features that OOo does
not have (MS Works import filter is an example).

(As and FYI: Mozilla are due to release yet another security update
within the next few days).

Point being is that the user cannot assume that their (U)OOo version 2.2
is the same as OpenOffice.org's 2.2 or the latest 2.3. Nor can the user
reasonably expect that (U)TB 2.0.0.8 is the same as Mozilla Thunderbird
2.0.0.9. That said; it's nice to have a choice :-)

Followups set to ubuntu.user.