Upgrade Feisty to Gutsy

Wulfy wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 21:09:11 UTC 2007

I upgraded from feisty to gutsy recently.  I found that a number of
packages were in "Obsolete and Locally Created Packages" in aptitude.
For most of them, I've been able to infer which package replaced them
but not for one, libdvdplay0.  It depends on libdvdread3, which still
shows a reverse depends on it and is in Gutsy.

So to my questions;

1) Is it safe to remove libdvdplay0?  I play all my dvds through the
computer so I don't want to break anything...
2) Why were these packages left hanging?  If they were replaced, they
should have been automatically removed, surely?

I must admit, I waited almost a month before upgrading to watch for
problems and, as upgrade-manager seems to be a GNOME application, I
don't have it and used aptitude for the upgrade.  I had no problems at
all apart from the dangling packages.  :@)

--
Blessings

Wulfmann