Email Client

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Nov 17 18:14:12 UTC 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 17 November 2007, Billie Walsh wrote:
>>On 11/15/2007 Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> KMail's been doing that for me for 7 years...  Sure you need to have
>>> spamassassin or bogofilter (my choice) installed, but that's normal for
>>> *nix systems - you shouldn't have spam detection implemented _in_ your
>>> email client, when it's a separate task.
>>
>>Now you've piqued my curiosity.
>>
>>> you shouldn't have spam detection implemented _in_ your
>>> email client, when it's a separate task.
>>
>>Why?
>>
>>To me it seems that would be the obvious place.
>
> No, is not.  That puts all the onus to do all this into a foreground task,
> kmail, which when it has to do all that, freezes your user interface,
> sometimes for rather extended periods of time.  This should more properly
> be done as background tasks, separate from kmail itself.

Well, ime, that means you're using spamassassin and/or an old version of
KMail.  bogofilter on the latest KMail can be pretty busy, but it doesn't
freeze anything.

In any case, the thing is that you and I use the same spam filtering but I
do mine in the foreground and you do yours in the background - which is
exactly why the filter needs to _not_ be part of the mail user agent.
--
derek