Email Client

Bruce Marshall bmarsh at bmarsh.com
Sat Nov 17 16:27:31 UTC 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007, Wulfy wrote:
> In what other area would you need spam detection?  The only way that I'm
> aware of that spam gets onto my system is through e-mail.  So the e-mail
> client *is* the appropriate place to put the spam detecting task, IMHO.

I guess it all depends on how you have your system set up.   I have more than
one user in this household and like to keep  mail and spam detection
centralized on a server.

There's only one machine that receives email from the net...   and only one
machine to do the email distribution to users (who POP it off the server) and
only one machine to check for spam.  A lot less work.

I used to run SpamAssassin on the server but found even that one machine was a
lot of work doing the checking, and whitelisting, blacklisting, etc.    I
wouldn't want to have to do that on multiple machines.  Now I run Dspam and
don't pay any attention to it.