Email Client

Bernhard Breinbauer infopipe at gmx.net
Sat Nov 17 14:36:35 UTC 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007 wrote Wulfy:
> Derek Broughton wrote:
> > KMail's been doing that for me for 7 years...  Sure you need to have
> > spamassassin or bogofilter (my choice) installed, but that's normal for
> > *nix systems - you shouldn't have spam detection implemented _in_ your
> > email client, when it's a separate task.
>
> In what other area would you need spam detection?  The only way that I'm
> aware of that spam gets onto my system is through e-mail.  So the e-mail
> client *is* the appropriate place to put the spam detecting task, IMHO.

Sure spam detection is designed for mails, but not for mail *clients* alone.
Such spam filters are also used on mail servers, by mail providers and so on.
That wouldn't be possible if all spam filters would be part of a mail client,
but is possible if they are separate applications.

cheers,
bernhard