Distribution upgrade

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 06:41:12 UTC 2007

I don't know about server software, but I had to move to Gutsy a few days ago
because I am coding stuff and need the "latest" libraries.
 I think it's a real pity that any given distro will become an "island" within
6 months and you have no chance of keeping up to date via repos -- short of
dist-upgrading (which is hard on crappy net connections).
 I gather it's the fluid and ever-improving nature of the FLOSS world, but I
always have an uneasy feeling that I'm slipping backwards and out of date as
soon as I install a new version of Kubuntu!*

/d

* Not that this is *buntu's fault. It was the same for me under Fedora. I hear
that Debian has an "unstable" state named Sid, that is supposed to stay
contemporary, but I don't know enough about it.