Backupemail messages (kontact)

Christian Schult cschult at gmx.de
Mon Nov 12 20:03:48 UTC 2007

Hi Sharukh,

* Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. <lists at pavri.net>:

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, Christian Schult wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > * David Fletcher <kubuntu-users at thefletchers.net>:
> >
> > > On Sunday 11 Nov 2007, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> >
> > I use rsnapshot for backup on secondary harddisk. It takes incremental
> > backups and uses hard links - so it looks like a full backup every
> > hour, day, week or month, but indeed the same file only exist once in
> > the whole backup. To restore simply use cp.
> >
> > I run it in a script which mounts the backup harddisk read only afterwards,
> > so a user can restore files himself.
> >
> > Christian
>
> Hi,
>
> Can you post the scripts ? Could be used as a starting point for my own
> backup needs.

There's no magic. Install rsnapshot from universe repository. Edit
/etc/rsnapshot.conf to your needs. Then change /ets/cron.d/rsnapshot
to start your own script and comment out all other lines.

~ > cat /etc/cron.d/rsnapshot
# This is a sample cron file for rsnapshot.
# The values used correspond to the examples in /etc/rsnapshot.conf.
# There you can also set the backup points and many other things.
#
# To activate this cron file you have to uncomment the lines below.
# Feel free to adapt it to your needs.

# 0 */4         * * *           root    /usr/bin/rsnapshot hourly
# 30 3          * * *           root    /usr/bin/rsnapshot daily
32 10           * * *           root    /usr/bin/ionice -c3 /root/bin/rsnapshot_daily.sh
26 12           * * 7           root    /usr/bin/ionice -c3 /root/bin/rsnapshot_weekly.sh
# 30 2          1 * *           root    /usr/bin/rsnapshot monthly

~ > cat /root/bin/rsnapshot_daily.sh
#!/bin/sh
mount -o remount,rw /media/hdc2
/usr/bin/rsnapshot daily