Any torbutton/privoxy experts here?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Nov 10 06:27:17 UTC 2007

D. R. Evans wrote:
> Nils Kassube said the following at 11/09/2007 03:12 PM :
> > D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> For about a year, torbutton worked perfectly on my 64-bit dapper
> >> system.
> >>
> >> But recently, every attempt to use it has brought up a privoxy
> >> screen that says that DNS resolution has failed.
> >>
> >> Anyone here have enough expertise to help try to figure out whether
> >> the problem is with FF, the torbutton extension, tor or privoxy?
> >
> > Just an idea: you could try another browser - if the problem
> > persists, it isn't Firefox.
>
> I have no idea how to use tor/privoxy in another browser. torbutton is
> supposed to do everything automatically, but of course it only works in
> FF.

Ooops - my bad. I didn't really know what torbutton is. I thought it was
another proxy between your browser and tor/privoxy. Anyway, at least for
privoxy I know that it works as a proxy server listening on a specific
port (i think it is 1080, or maybe 8000) on your localhost. I would
expect tor to work the same. To setup another browser to use privoxy you
would have to find out the port from the documentation. Then use the
settings for that browser where you can find something named "internet
connection". Usually there are several options like "direct connection to
internet" and "manual proxy settings". Select the latter and set it to
host = localhost or http://localhost. Usually there is a seperate input
area for the port. Set it to the port mentioned in the docs for privoxy
or tor. If your browser has no seperate input area use
http://localhost:1080 for the host (use the correct port instead of
1080).

Nils