need to unplug USB drive

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Sat Nov 3 18:10:40 UTC 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 15:14, Earl Violet wrote:
> --- Sylviane et Perry White <spwhite at freesurf.ch> wrote:
> > Second user (the one that didn't plug the stick in) couldn't write
> > to a USB
> > stick, nor unmount it.
>
> Did you try putting the second user in the same group as the first,
> the one owning the stick?
>
> Earl
Hi Earl,
First user is the one who plugs in the stick, it may be the one with high
privileges or the "guest".
The guests may login to the guest account (named "semua" ) without a password
so I dont want them to belong to the group "perry". I will try to make myself
also member of the group "semua" and see what happens but remember we already
both belong to "users".

On Saturday 03 November 2007 11:08, Nils Kassube wrote:
> The USB stick is using a VFAT filesystem which doesn't know anything about
> users and groups. Therefore you can't change ownerships of files on a USB
> stick.
Hi Nils,
Thanks for info, it will save me time to experiment on M$ and search how I can
access those non existing bits.
On Linux this ownership stuff may not reside on the USB stick but on the
computer and the way it mounts the stick, therefore the subject :"need to
unplug USB drive"
If the stick is plugged in when the machine reboots, the owner is root and
nobody has acces to it!

Thanks for answers		Perry
--
BOFH excuse #205: Quantum dynamics are affecting the transistors