Response to Lee, was "Help with k3b please"

WJ Seidl wjsvt at sover.net
Sun May 20 21:49:55 UTC 2007

> Wayne Seidl wrote:
>> (Sigh) I have a LOT to learn yet. 15 years of Windows has dulled my
>> brain, I'm afraid, or is it just age? <g>
>>
> Finding myself in the same situation, I really feel for you, Wayne.
> Unfortunately, I still have to keep Window$ (XP.SP2 - I refuse to move
> to Vista.) around (dual boot), for the sake of a few programs not
> duplicated in the Linux world.  Once Wine develops to the point where I
> can run those programs within Linux, I'll drop Window$ like a hot potato.
>

> Lee

Lee:
I'm in exactly the same boat...sometimes I think it's sinking <g>. One
computer out of five on our small network
has to stay MS, for exactly the same reasons. We file a lot of documents
with various state departments
(like Sales tax, Unemployment taxes etc.) via the Net.  It is truly
amazing how many refuse to allow
anything that isn't IE or MS. Even their websites don't render worth a
darn in FF.  Sad, very sad.  Java under Linux
has quite a ways to go too. For someone running FF or TBird on Linux,
you can just about forget it.
Hopefully that will change soon. (I'm not holding my breath.)

I still haven't found a decent substitute for Intuit QuickBooks.  I have
been (rather frostily) informed in no uncertain
terms that since MS owns Intuit, there is no way they will come out with
a Linux version.
Well, excuse ME! And QB doesn't play well with Wine. At all.  Period.
My disdain for MS products knows no bounds these days.

When did "customer service" stop meaning just that?  I guess they are
all rich enough
that they needn't be concerned about losing customers.  HMPH!  I am SO
glad to be
getting away from all that, and I'm happily embracing Linux.  At times
though, I feel like a PFY on his
first date...don't know where to put my hands (which commands to use),
or what to do (try) next <g>.
First base? Second base? They all look the same from where I'm standing, LOL

Best,
Wayne Seidl