Hello / KDE 4 / Asking questions.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 14 13:41:05 UTC 2007

Peter Lewis wrote:

> Hi people...
>
> Have just joined this list, after having been using Kubuntu for about two
> months or so. After my move from Gentoo (which I did really like), I'm
> very impressed.
>
> I was also impressed with the speed at which the packages for KDE4 Alpha 1
> were released (just a few hours after the kde.org announcement I think),
> so well done!
>
> I've got a quick question though. Keen to take a look, I am following the
> instructions here:
>
> http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-alpha1.php
>
> Attempting to install kde4base-dev, apt wants to remove kubuntu-desktop.
>
> Is this correct? The versions of kde4 in the main ubuntu repositories
> don't require this.

Where exactly are you getting kde4base-dev from ?  It won't cause you any
(immediate) problems if kubuntu-desktop gets removed, but the fact that it
is happening implies that you're trying a repository that hasn't been
blessed by ubuntu.  kubuntu-desktop is just a metapackage that depends on
all the standard stuff that KUbuntu installs.  The developers are clear
that for a hassle-free upgrade experience to a new release, you _must_ have
the desktop package installed.
--
derek