Top-posting, HTML-formatted mail, flaming, shouting and so on, was Re: KUBUNTU

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon May 14 13:14:58 UTC 2007

FX Fraipont wrote:

> Clay Weber wrote:
>> I often find all the the admonitions to be as annoying as the offending
>> posts.
>>
>> So why can't the correct guidelines be asked for in a much friendlier
>> manner?
>
> I am a relatively new convert (one year) to Kubuntu, after 10 years with
> SuSE and then Opensuse.
> One of the pleasures of reading this list was that endless debates about
> THE acceptable way of posting to a list were mercifully absent.
>
> Now it seems that other SuSE refugees are going to spoil the fun for
> everybody here and litter the list with admonitions about what you
> should and shouldn't do.
>
> I like your point about the "friendly manner".

How friendly do you need?  I ask everybody I'm trying to help to "please
don't top-post".  If they ignore it, and I'm _really_ trying to be helpful,
I'll escalate to "PLEASE".  If they make an issue of it, they get plonked -
I don't _have_ to help people.

It's not SuSE refugees that are causing a problem, it's people who won't try
to go with the flow and behave like other list members (or can't even
realize they're using a mail list).  Why should I always have to have
Ubuntu's official guidelines at hand?  Can't new posters be expected to
look for them?
--
derek