.xsession-errors file

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu May 10 13:34:51 UTC 2007

Art Alexion wrote:

> On Wednesday 09 May 2007 19:54, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
>> 2)  Symlink ~/.xsession-errors to /dev/null so all future errors go
>> straight into the bit bucket.
>>
>> I chose 2) myself, because I was too lazy to edit the conf file, and
>> debug my edits.
>
> the problem with this solution is that you can no longer use the errors
> file to diagnose real problems with X.

And the assumption that it's just because of the silly errors on wacom
tablets is incorrect.  It would take a lifetime to create a 1GB file (at
165 bytes per message, that's 6.5 million messages!).

What seems to be taking the majority of space in my .xsession_errors, right
now, is that every message piped through bogofilter by kmail seems to be
echoed to .xsession_errors.  I have too big problems with that - it's not
an error, so why is it in .xsession_errors, and my email should never be
being copied to a potentially insecure file without my knowledge (I don't
know, though if it's a potentially insecure file - mine is rw-------, and
perhaps X won't even start a session for you if you make it world
readable).  I'll be filing (or appending to) a bug about that, anyway.

I know that the time my .xsession_errors filled the disk, I was getting
errors from NX and they were excessive.  I configured something in NX that
limited the logging, but that time it seemed .xsession_errors contained
every single bit sent back and forth from client to server.
--
derek