Dell to offer Ubuntu 7.04 on selected desk/laptops

manchicken manchicken at notsosoft.net
Tue May 8 22:49:53 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 20:43:46 Huston wrote:
> I was just asking opinions, or maybe for information that someone had that
> others didn't.  I realize that anything is possible, but I saw this and
> started thinking along the lines of Redhat, or Suse.  I know that both
> still offer "free" editions.  I guess I was wondering how close Unbuntu,
> and such were to the Debian model, which I believe no one owns... Someone
> correct me if I am wrong, and if there is the possibility the Unbuntu may
> move toward the Redhat or Suse type structure.

As a contributor to Kubuntu, I seriously doubt anything like this is in the
cards.  Rest assured that the day we have a version of Kubuntu or Ubuntu that
goes against the original ethos of the distribution--freedom, free sharing of
information, free sharing of culture, affordable technologies to help us
improve ourselves and the world around us--is the day that my contributions
will move elsewhere.

That said, I'm currently at the developers' summit for Ubuntu, and I can say
without a doubt that the discussions have actually been going in the opposite
direction.  I--personally, not a representative of Ubuntu--believe that
Ubuntu is going the way of the OEM in order to make freedom in software more
accessible to casual users in countries that commonly buy desktops and
laptops preloaded with software that restricts them rather than aides them.
I actually think that the goal is more freedom, not more restriction.  I'm
sure that folks are trying to make money--who doesn't?--but I'm also sure
that money will not be made by Ubuntu through restrictions.