Gnome-desktop from Kubuntu

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Mon May 7 19:34:11 UTC 2007

> Qt/KDE apps are awfully slow under Gnome...just as GTK/Gnome apps are slow
> under KDE.
>
> Its not hostility...its just libraries. When you log into KDE, kdelibs and
> such are all automatically loaded. If you run a KDE app, most of the
> libraries are already loaded into memory so its very quick to start up. If
> you run a Gnome app however, it has to load all the gnome libs so is
> slower. Under gnome, gnome libs are loaded at login, but not kde ones, so
> same effect ;)

I don't buy that. Once the libs are loaded it should be even, but the
performance is during the *use* of the apps. GTK apps are slower under KDE
even *after* the libs have loaded.

> One thing I noticed though...is that KDE apps load much faster in KDE, than
> Gnome apps do in Gnome...

Yes - I find QT much quicker over all.

I'm gonna spend some time in Gnome one of these days -- just always got other
things to do first :) One day!

/d