Gnome-desktop from Kubuntu

Rashid ul Islam rashid786 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 19:17:44 UTC 2007

On 17/04/07, Donn <donn.ingle at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Naw, not at all, ubuntu-desktop is just a metapackage (like
> gnome-desktop)
> > but it has all the ubuntu-specific goodies. Just install the
> > ubuntu-desktop, and it should all be good :)
> >
> I did and 11mb later I have it working.
>
> First thing I noticed is that GTK apps are far far FAR quicker under Gnome
> than they are under KDE. I am amazed.
> My main motivation was to see how inkscape performed and it's just amazing
> --
> snappy as all heck. I turned the GTK-qt thing off under KDE, but Inkscape
> is
> still laggy when it runs.
>
> There must be some basic hostility between QT and GTK. I wonder if KDE/Qt
> apps
> under Gnome will suffer too? Will check it out.
>
> Thanks,
> /d

Qt/KDE apps are awfully slow under Gnome...just as GTK/Gnome apps are slow
under KDE.

Its not hostility...its just libraries. When you log into KDE, kdelibs and
such are all automatically loaded. If you run a KDE app, most of the
libraries are already loaded into memory so its very quick to start up. If
you run a Gnome app however, it has to load all the gnome libs so is slower.
Under gnome, gnome libs are loaded at login, but not kde ones, so same
effect ;)

One thing I noticed though...is that KDE apps load much faster in KDE, than
Gnome apps do in Gnome...

Unfortunately, 2 major apps for linux are gtk...firefox and openoffice :(

BTW, I've been using ubuntu (gnome) for the last few weeks (since feisty)
and have gotten quite used to it...used to hate gnome before but now I like
both KDE and Gnome...the reason I switched to gnome is because ubuntu is
unfortunately given a lot more attention than Kubuntu and is more mature I
have found.

I'll be switching back to Kubuntu with the next release...hopefully :) (if
the devs give me enough reasons to do so :P)

-Rashid