Amarok and Creative Zen V mp3 players

Richard Hambleton hambleton.5 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 11:44:19 UTC 2007

On 5/4/07, Donald Allwright <donald_allwright at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been trying for ages to get my Creative Zen V recognised in some
> way or other by my Kubuntu system, so far without success. I've added
> the following lines to /etc/udev/45-libnjb.rules:
>
> # Creative Zen V
>  SYSFS{idVendor}=="041e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4150", GROUP="plugdev",
> MODE="0660"
> # Creative Zen V Plus
>  SYSFS{idVendor}=="041e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4152", GROUP="plugdev",
> MODE="0660"
>
> which should allow the device to be recognised. It does seem to
> recognise the device in some way, as when I plug it in it thinks it's a
> digital camera and asks me if I want to open it. When I select this
> option, it opens a konqueror tab but then pops up a message:
> "The process for the camera://usb:004,013 protocol died unexpectedly."
>
> When attempting to autodetect it with Amarok, I get a message:
> "No new media devices were found. If you feel this is an error, ensure
> that the DBUS and HAL daemons are running and KDE was built with
> support for them. You can test this by running "dcop kded mediamanager
> fullList" in a Konsole window.". This is the version of Amarok from
> medibuntu that supports the MTP protocol.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a udev configuration issue or something else.
> Looking on the ubuntu forums suggests that this is what I need to get
> udev to detect it, but how do I get Amarok to be able to see it? Any suggestions?
>
> --
> 43 - slightly more than the answer to life, the universe and everything.
> http://donaldallwright.blogspot.com

You may want to try downloading Gnomad2. (http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/)
It is available in the repositories.

I couldn't get Amarok to see my Creative Zen Xtra.  Then I installed
Gnomad.  Gnomad was able to connect to the device without issue.
Oddly, since installing Gnomad, Amarok can now connect to the device
too.

Richard