Amarok and Creative Zen V mp3 players

Donald Allwright donald_allwright at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 22:56:32 UTC 2007

I've been trying for ages to get my Creative Zen V recognised in some
way or other by my Kubuntu system, so far without success. I've added
the following lines to /etc/udev/45-libnjb.rules:

# Creative Zen V
 SYSFS{idVendor}=="041e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4150", GROUP="plugdev",
MODE="0660"
# Creative Zen V Plus
 SYSFS{idVendor}=="041e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="4152", GROUP="plugdev",
MODE="0660"

which should allow the device to be recognised. It does seem to
recognise the device in some way, as when I plug it in it thinks it's a
digital camera and asks me if I want to open it. When I select this
option, it opens a konqueror tab but then pops up a message:
"The process for the camera://usb:004,013 protocol died unexpectedly."

When attempting to autodetect it with Amarok, I get a message:
"No new media devices were found. If you feel this is an error, ensure
that the DBUS and HAL daemons are running and KDE was built with
support for them. You can test this by running "dcop kded mediamanager
fullList" in a Konsole window.". This is the version of Amarok from
medibuntu that supports the MTP protocol.

I'm not sure if this is a udev configuration issue or something else.
Looking on the ubuntu forums suggests that this is what I need to get
udev to detect it, but how do I get Amarok to be able to see it? Any suggestions?

--
43 - slightly more than the answer to life, the universe and everything.
http://donaldallwright.blogspot.com