Feisty reboot invisible??

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Sun May 6 15:55:07 UTC 2007

I just installed Feisty, replacing Dapper. When I boot the system, the screen
goes completely blank and remains that way until the signon screen comes up.
My  kernel line in menu.lst looks like this:

kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic
root=UUID=b753f44f-ae42-4cc3-9c36-dbadd8fd5bfb ro quiet splash

I've tried taking the "quiet" off, but that doesn't seem to do anything. The
problem with this is that there's no way to tell that the boot is progressing
or if the machine is hung.

Can anyone suggest how to get *SOME* feedback during boot?

tia
---Michael